Halloween costumes aren’t getting any cheaper. While it’s hard to justify spending a fortune on a costume they may wear once, you also don’t want them dressed like every other kid that walked through the local big box store. On the other hand, maybe you’ve procrastinated and now the costume aisles at the store are totally picked over. Well, this is your lucky day! Here are 25 DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids.
There are countless, inexpensive DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids that you can make with stuff you probably already have on hand or that are easy to find. The awesome thing about these diy ideas is that you can keep it simple or add your own extra touches.
Note: Don’t miss the photos below where I used some of these costume ideas for my own kids!
25 DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids
- Mummy – Cut an old white sheet into strips and soak them in a sink with tea bags. The tea will give it the centuries-old coloring look. Wrap up from head to toe!
- Kitty Cat – Use eyeliner to create the cat look and hit up the dollar store for ears. Or make your own by attaching fabric scraps or construction paper to a headband.
- Rain and clouds – Dress your child in a grey shirt and leggings. Paint blue raindrops onto the outfit.
- Man with the Yellow Hat – Do you have a stuffed monkey? Dress your child up in yellow, carrying the monkey and they will be the favorite book character.
- Ghost – Another Halloween classic that requires a white sheet and nothing more.
- Pumpkin – Get a Halloween themed trash bag and cut a hole out for your head. Use leaves or newspaper to fill it up creating a plumped effect.
- Scuba Diver – Dress your child in black leggings, long sleeve shirt and stocking cap. Attach two brightly painted 2 liter bottles fashioned into dive tanks.
- Mr. Rogers – Break out the button up sweater and take your little one around the neighborhood.
- Back to the Future – All you need for this one is faded jeans, white athletic shoes, chambray shirt, puffer vest and dark shades.
- 80’s kid – Sideways ponytail or BIG hair, neon colored clothes and some blue eyeshadow and you’re done.
- Umpire – A white polo shirt lined out with black duct tape, some black pants, yellow towel and a whistle.
- HULK – Buy some green skin paint and rip up a flannel shirt.
- Princess – Let your little one wear their fanciest dress. Hit the dollar store for a tiara.
- Risky Business – Some cheap wayfarers and a large white shirt and your kid can be sliding around like Tom Cruise.
- Self Portrait – Grab an 11×20 picture frame and have your child hold it in front of their face for trick or treating.
- Lumberjack – Red flannel shirt, jeans and hiking boots. Top with a plain black beanie and suspenders if you have them. Finish the effect by adding a 5 o’clock shadow with eyeshadow.
- Static Cling – Use safety pins to attach random socks to their outfit.
- Hippie – Draw flowers and peace signs on a pair of old jeans, pair with a tie dye shirt, headband and big sunglasses.
- Librarian – Glasses, long skirt, a cardigan and a name tag is all it takes for this costume.
- Nurse or Doctor – Find a pair of scrubs at your nearby thrift shop
- Two faced – Use face paint or makeup to decorate just one side of their face.
- Cowboy – Do you have an extra western hat laying around? Pair the hat with a button up shirt and some jeans to complete the look.
- Clark Kent/Superman – All this takes is a Superman tee and a white button up with a pair of dollar store reading glasses (with the lenses popped out).
- Birdwatcher – If you have some binoculars and a khaki colored jacket, you are all set.
- Jellyfish– Cover a cheap wide brimmed straw hat with iridescent fabric and attach ribbon streamers.
The thing I love about DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids is that you can choose to go as elaborate or as simple as your budget and time availability allow. And sometimes the simplest costumes are the best!