Halloween costumes aren’t getting any cheaper and chances are, you don’t want to spend a fortune on your child’s costume, but you also probably don’t want them dressed like every other kid that walked through the local big box store. On the other hand, maybe you’ve procrastinated and now the costume aisles at the store are totally picked over. What do you do? Here are 25 DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids.
There are countless, inexpensive DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids that you can make with stuff you probably already have on hand or that are easy to find.
25 DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids
- Mummy – Take an old white sheet and soak it in a sink with tea bags. The tea will give it the centuries-old coloring look.
- Kitty Cat – Use eyeliner to create the cat look. (hit up the dollar store if you want to add ears)
- Rain and clouds – Dress your child in a grey shirt and leggings. Paint blue raindrops onto the outfit.
- Man with the Yellow Hat – Do you have a stuffed monkey? Dress your child up in yellow, carrying the monkey and they will be the favorite book character.
- Ghost – Another Halloween classic that requires a white sheet and nothing more.
- Pumpkin – Get a Halloween themed trash bag and cut a hole out for your head. Use leaves or newspaper to fill it up creating a plumped effect.
- Scuba Diver – Dress your child in black clothing and attached two brightly painted 2 liter bottles fashioned into dive tanks.
- Mr. Rogers – Break out the button up sweater and take your little one around the neighborhood.
- LEGO Piece – Paint a box and use superglued bottle lids to act as the LEGO fitting pieces.
- 80’s kid – Sideways ponytail, neon colored clothes and some blue eyeshadow and you’re done.
- Go Goth – Pale skin and dark lips and eyeliner.
- HULK – Buy some green skin paint and rip up a flannel shirt.
- Princess – Let your little one wear their fanciest dress.
- Risky Business – Some cheap wayfarers and a large white shirt and your kid can be sliding around like Tom Cruise.
- Self Portrait – Grab an 11×20 picture frame and have your child hold it in front of their face for trick or treating.
- Skeleton Face – Use black eyeshadow and eyeliner to create this look
- Static Cling – Use safety pins to attach random socks to their outfit.
- Life bringing you Lemons – Write LIFE on a shirt and have your child carry lemons in one hand.
- Librarian – Glasses, a cardigan and a name tag is all it takes for this costume.
- Nurse or Doctor – Find a pair of scrubs at your nearby thrift shop
- Two faced – Use face paint or makeup to decorate just one side of their face.
- Cowboy – Do you have an extra western hat laying around? Pair the hat with a button up shirt and some jeans to complete the look.
- Clark Kent/Superman – All this takes is a Superman tee and a white button up.
- Birdwatcher – If you have some binoculars and a khaki colored jacket, you are all set.
- Facebook – Write BOOK across their face with a makeup pencil. That’s it. Easiest costume ever.
The thing I love about DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids is that you can choose to go as elaborate or as simple as your budget and time availability allow. And sometimes the simplest costumes are the best!