This Ham and Potato Casserole recipe takes about about an hour and a half from start to finish, but it’s so worth it. And the whole family loves it, but I mean, what’s not to love?
First, it’s loaded with thinly sliced potatoes flavored with bits of celery and red bell pepper.
Then there’s the rich, creamy goodness that’s made from scratch. No boxes, no mixes, no canned soup. It’s all homemade baby!
I also love that I can prep it and then forget it in the oven for about an hour so I can get a few other things done.
And it’s versatile…
- You can peel your potatoes or leave skins on.
- You can use red, orange or yellow bell peppers or all three!
- It calls for cheddar cheese, but you could use any kind you like or leave it off. It’s really up to you.
This recipe is also included in my 2 Week Aldi Friendly Meal Plan. You can pick up the ebook which includes 14 delicious, home-cooked recipes and a printable shopping list.
The recipe lists milk and half & half, but you can switch it up several different ways depending on what you have on hand and the desired richness you’re seeking:
- 1 cup milk and 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk and 1 cup evaporated milk
See what I mean? These variations are listed on the recipe below.
I also love that this is another awesome way to use leftover ham during the holidays!
Next time you have left over ham in the fridge, or just need a frugal meal to add to the menu, try this recipe for Ham and Potato Casserole. I’d love to hear what you think! Your recipe is below!
Ham and Potato Recipe
- 4-5 cups potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 cups ham diced
- 4 tbs butter
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half & half**
- 1/4 tsp dried mustard
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs parsley
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- **variations: 2 cups milk OR 1 cup milk and 1heavy cream OR 2 cups evaporated milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup evaporated.
- Spray 9×13-inch baking dish and preheat oven to 350.
- In large saucepan, melt butter; add onion and celery and saute until tender.
- Add bell pepper and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Add seasonings and salt to taste.
- Continue stirring and cooking until sauce thickens.
- Place potatoes and diced ham in a large mixing bowl and stir in sauce. .
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake about 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake a few more minutes until melted.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.