If you’re looking for a quick and easy made from scratch meal, then add these Homemade Sloppy Joes to your meal plan this week!
I grew up on homemade meals. We ate very little processed food. When mom taught me to cook, she taught me to do it from scratch. For more than half my life, I had never tasted store bought pasta sauce or canned sloppy joe sauce, let alone used a seasoning packet in food preparation.
Now that the kids are older and we’re back to eating less processed foods, I’ve started making Homemade Sloppy Joes again.
And you know what I’ve found? They’re not much more difficult than opening a can – in fact, you probably have almost everything you need in your pantry!
As I said before, this can be a 10-minute meal, however, you can really amp up the flavor by letting it simmer longer.
On nights that I plan Homemade Sloppy Joes for dinner, I make a triple batch. Then I serve one and freeze two. Voila! I have two easy freezer dinners for busy week nights. All I have to do is thaw, heat and serve on sandwich rolls. Maybe with some fresh fruit.
How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup any color bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs yellow mustard
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 package sandwich rolls
- Brown ground beef in large skillet with onions and bell peppers.
- Use spatula to crumble the meat.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sacue and next 8 ingredients.
- Stir into ground beef mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture into buns.