Normally I’m all about super simple, quickly thrown together recipes because let’s face it – life is B.U.S.Y. Busy. But every once in awhile I make an exception and add these Loaded Lasagna Roll Ups to the weekly meal plan.
Loaded Lasagna Roll Ups are little bundles of mouthwatering goodness that I just can’t help bestowing on my family a few times a year. Yes, I said year. We’re not getting too crazy around here.
However, there is a way to make these a quicker week night dinner…keep reading to find out how.
So basically this is your traditional lasagna recipe made with meat, red sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta and a few more goodies thrown in. I like to use italian sausage and pepperoni. You could mix in a little ground beef if you like.
And instead of layering the casserole, I spread the lasagna noodles with the ricotta cheese mixture and roll them up. Thus the name. I also like to tuck the pepperoni inside for a little flavor surprise.
Tip: The lasagna noodles will be easier to work with if you cook them until less than al dente. You’ll have fewer breakages and they won’t be so slimy. Don’t worry about them being under cooked; they’ll be perfect by the time you pop them out of the oven.
Then I just smother the whole thing with the meat and sauce, top with mozzarella cheese and bake until hot and gooey.
This recipe is also included in my 2 Week Aldi Friendly Meal Plan. You can pick up the ebook which includes 14 delicious, home-cooked recipes and a printable shopping list.
If you’re planning on making Loaded Lasagna Roll Ups, I suggest making a triple batch. You can make extra roll ups, flash freeze them until the outsides are solid and throw them into freezer backs to toss in your freezer.
When ready to serve, layer them in a baking dish, pile on pasta sauce with meat and cheese, cover tightly with non-stick foil and bake at around 325 degrees until they’re hot throughout.
My family devours my Loaded Lasagna Roll Ups so much that I always make extra for left overs in lunches!
How to Make Loaded Lasagna Roll Ups
- 20 lasagna noodles
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 16 oz italian sausage diced
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 6 oz pepperoni diced
- 1 tbs basil
- 1/2 tbs Oregano
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to instructions on the package removing BEFORE they reach al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce into bottom of 13x9 baking dish, set aside.
- Pour remaining pasta sauce into large bowl and stir in sausage. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, egg, pepperoni and spices. Mix well.
- Spoon approximately 2 Tablespoons of ricotta mixture into center of each lasagna noodle and spread evenly.
- Roll filled lasagna noodles up tightly and place in baking dish in rows. Continue until all noodles are rolled and pan is filled.
- Pour sauce mixture over the top of lasagna roll ups.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake until heated throughout.
- Remove foil and top with cheese. Bake uncovered 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.