My husband and kids literally gobble down my Mandarin Cashew Chicken. If you’ve only got 30 minutes and you want a dish your family will love, then put this on your meal plan this week.
I had to start doubling the recipe to satisfy everyone. They love the cashews and mandarin oranges; I love that this is a super easy healthy meal I can serve my family.
Depending on the season or craving, you can interchange sugar snap peas with snow peas. The sugar snap peas give a sweeter taste to dish while the snow peas balance it out.
You can also use bottle stir fry sauce in lieu of homemade if you have less time or just want less hassle. Whatever works for you.
I like to stir fry the ingredients in a stove top wok, but a large skillet works just as well. Here are a few of my favorite woks:
- Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Stainless 14-Inch Stir-Fry Pan
- Joyce Chen Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set
- Calphalon Triply Stainless Steel 12-Inch Fry Pan
We like our Mandarin Cashew Chicken over sticky rice prepared with my rice cooker. I’ve had mine for several years and I don’t know how I ever managed without it. I love that I can start the rice, forget about it and concentrate on preparing the rest of dinner. It turns out perfectly every time.
If you don’t have one…get one stat!
You can grab the recipe below!
How to Make Mandarin Cashew Chicken
- 1 8 oz can mandarin oranges
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2/3 cup cashews
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast cubed
- 1 cup sugar snap peas or snow peas
- Drain mandarin oranges reserving 2 Tablespoons of juice in a small bowl. Set oranges aside.
- Add broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and brown sugar to reserved juice and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil, garlic and onion in large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add cashews and cook until lightly toasted and onions are translucent.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Turn heat up to medium-high.
- Add chicken and cook about 5 minutes or until almost done.
- Add cashew mixture back in.
- Add sugar snap peas and cook until heated throughout.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and pour sauce over chicken, stirring to coat.
- Cook until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and add mandarin oranges.
- Serve immediately over steamed rice.