What to Buy in December
December finds us right smack in the middle of the holiday season where everything seems to be on sale all of the time. Keep in mind when considering what to buy in December that free shipping day falls sometime between the 15th and the 18th.
The month of December is also:
- National Tie Month*
- Root Vegetables and Exotic Fruits Month*
- Safe Toys and Gifts Month*
- Tomato and Winter Squash Month*
*expect to see sales centered around these promotions
- Cars – Score great savings on last years model cars as the new year’s models are in full swing.
- Holiday/Christmas Dinner Foods – Look for sales and coupons on items like turkey, ham, canned pumpkin, stuffing mix, gravy, bread/rolls, frozen pies, cool whip and more.
Savings Tip: While turkeys and hams are priced so low, pick up a couple extra. Cook and freeze meat in ziploc bags to use in casseroles, soups and more all for the next several months.
- Baking Supplies – Baking season is in full swing. Look for great prices on items like chocolate chips, sprinkles, vanilla, corn syrup, nuts, evaporated milk, baking powder, baking soda, flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar and more!
- Hot Beverages – Colder weather calls for warmer drinks so look for sales on coffee, hot tea and hot cocoa.
- Large Appliances – Manufacturers roll out new models in time for the holidays, so stores are working hard to make room for fresh stock by discounting 2012 models of dishwashers, dryers and more.
- Toys – You’ll see major competition between toy retailers round the third and fourth weeks of December.
- Gift Cards – Many retailers and restaurants will offer bonus gift cards when you purchase a specific dollar amount of gift cards. Some retailers will offer a percent amount off gift card purchases.
- Wedding Dresses – You’ll see all time low prices during the month of December.
- Christmas Decor & Wrapping Supplies – These items will be marked down the last week of the month. Save up to 90%.
Create your own Savvy Shopper’s Guide