What to Buy in October
Autumn is here! Back to School Deals are over and Christmas deals are gearing up, but don’t miss the great fall deals October has to offer. Our list for what to buy in October includes pantry staples, great deals on summer’s leftovers and much more!
The month of October is also:
- National Pizza Month*
- National Dental Hygiene Month*
- National Pork Month*
- National Seafood Month*
- National Apple Month*
*expect to see sales centered around these promotions
- Baking Supplies – Baking season begins this month as the temperatures cool down and the holidays are just around the corner. Look for great prices on items like chocolate chips, sprinkles, vanilla, corn syrup, nuts, evaporated milk, Baking powder, baking soda, flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar and more! Search for coupons here.
Pumpkins – Whether carving jack-o-lanterns or making pumpkin bread, look for deals on this fruit (or is it a vegetable?). Although, rumor has it that there’s a pumpkin shortage for 2015 so we may not see the low prices we have in years past.
- Cold & Flu Remedies – As cold/flu season gets underway, we’ll start seeing plenty of coupons and deals for cough syrup, decongestants and throat lozenges.
- Hot Breakfast Items – Cooler temperatures mean the grocery stores will be promoting comfort foods for breakfast, including oatmeal, eggs, and bacon.
- Pet Products – It’s “Adopt a Shelter-Dog Month” so you’ll see lots of great prices on pet supplies.
- Daylight Savings Ends – This brings with it sales on alarm clocks, batteries, smoke alarms and other safety equipment.
- Large Appliances – Manufacturers roll out new models in time for the holidays, so stores are working hard to make room for fresh stock by discounting 2012 models of dishwashers, dryers and more.
- Summer Leftovers – Prices on gas grills, patio furniture, air conditioners, garden items and camping gear are at their lowest.
- Shrubs, Bushes & Bulbs – Greenhouses, nurseries and garden shops are marking landscaping items down.
- Jeans – Retailers stock way up on jeans for the back to school rush. Now they’re left with over-stock. You should be able to score some great deals.
Black Friday is just around the corner, so unless you find a rockin’ deal or just absolutely need a big ticket item, it’s best to wait another month and take advantage of deeply slashed Black Friday prices.
If you’re traveling over the holidays and need to purchase airline tickets, do it NOW. Prices will continue to rise as the occasion draws nearer.
- Halloween – Candy and costumes will go on clearance at 50% off right after the holiday. Up to 90% off as we go into November.
- Toys – Watch for clearance pricing on select toys as stores make room for the hottest items for Christmas shopping.
Use the print-friendly button to below to print the buying guide for each month, hole punch and place behind a tabbed divider in your household planner, coupon organizer or other binder.