Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Enough said. I could end this post right here and you all would totally get me.
There are so many reasons I love this simple and hearty crockpot meal. The main reason is because when I’m running in 80 different directions. I can dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker and forget about it. After cooking on low all day, the flavors mix and mingle and explode in your happy mouth.Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. A simple, nutritious, fix it and forget it, hearty crockpot dinner.
I also dig this recipe because you don’t have to cook the chicken first. Most Chicken Tortilla Soup recipes instruct you to bake, roast or grill the chicken first and then shred before adding to the soup.
With my recipe, you just throw the raw chicken breast in with the rest. About 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken, shred it, add it back in and you’re good to go. Easy peasy.
Another thing I love about this soup is its flexibility. You can tweak it in so many ways and have a different meal every time.
- Toss in some chili powder or chipotle hot sauce to amp up the spice.
- Add some black beans to stretch it a little further and add some color.
- Stir in some tomato paste to give the broth some depth.
Also, you can either use fresh corn tortillas to make your own crispy tortilla strips for garnish OR take the lazy woman’s way out and buy some prepackaged tortilla strips at the store.
If you want to kick Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup up a notch, make sure you have sour cream, mozzarella cheese, avocado and fresh cilantro on hand for garnish. Yum!
I actually add dry cilantro seasoning to the recipe while it’s cooking, but I still like to garnish with some fresh herbs too.
So what are you waiting for? Add this simple, nutritious, fix and forget it meal to your menu plan now!
And be sure to check out my other simple, slow cooker meals!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes undrained
- 1 7 oz can Green Chiles
- 1 15 oz can whole yellow corn undrained
- 1 15 oz can White Hominy undrained
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 tbs Cumin
- 1 tbs cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 pkg corn tortillas
- prepackaged tortilla strips for soups and salads optional garnish
- Avocado optional garnish
- shredded cheese optional garnish
- sour cream optional garnish
- fresh cilantro optional garnish
- Add all ingredients except chicken to the slow cooker and stir.
- Add chicken and make sure it's covered with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken, shred and return to slow cooker.
- If desired, cut some strips of corn tortilla, spray with cooking spray or olive oil and bake in 350 oven until crisp. OR garnish with prepackaged tortilla strips for soups and salads. Serve over top of soup.
- Serve garnished with cheese, avocado and tortilla strips if desired.