Turkey Taco Penne adds a twist to taco Tuesdays!
When my three still-at-home daughters and I visited my oldest, married daughter over spring break, she effortlessly planned and prepared dinners for us during our stay. We didn’t eat one meal out.
One evening, she prepared this taco pasta recipe she found on Pinterest, but instead of using ground beef, she substituted lean ground turkey. It was oh so yummy!
So I pinned it! And then I tweaked it.
This served two purposes:
- to help with my goal to wean our family off of many of the processed defaults in cooking
- practice frugality by using ingredients I already have on hand.
It turned out really, really good!
I’ll let you in on a little secret, I basically just used my Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix recipe, which you can make in bulk and then it’ll be just as convenient to use as packaged seasoning.
Of course, you may want to use packet seasoning anyway If that’s the case, then just omit the ingredients from paprika to pepper and carry on.
Also, feel free to switch out the turkey for ground beef – whichever is on sale or already in your freezer. Both are delicious in this recipe!
As always, if you like things more spicy, just use hot salsa and amp up the chili powder or throw in an extra teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
How to Make Turkey Taco Penne …
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 8 oz cooked penne pasta
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tbs Paprika
- 1/2 Tbs Cumin
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- shredded cheese optional
- In large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender.
- Mix in garlic and cook for 45 second to 1 minute.
- Mix in the salsa and seasonings and let simmer for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta, cream cheese and sour cream.
- Continue stirring until cream cheese is melted and all ingredients are well blended.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese.
- Garnish with sour cream and salsa if desired.