This Beef Enchilada Casserole is my take on a dish we used to eat for dinner when I was growing up. It’s become a family favorite in our home. With rave reviews from adults and kids, it’s great to serve when company comes or to take to the church potluck.
You know how I love versatility in the kitchen, and this Mexican recipe is definitely that. You can make a homemade cheese sauce by cooking up a roux and then adding milk and cheese.
Or, if you’re in a hurry, you can substitute a can of cream soup for the roux, then just add the milk and cheese from there.
You can also take the spiciness up a notch or two by using medium or hot enchilada sauce instead of mild. Want it extra spicy? Add red pepper flakes to the ground beef mixture.
Keep in mind that this casserole always tastes better the next day so it’s the perfect dish to make ahead. Just pop it in the oven when you’re ready to eat. It freezes well too!
Make sure to have lots of flavorful garnishes on hand for your Beef Enchilada Casserole like extra cheese, diced tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream and of course, guacamole!
How to make Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 - 28 oz can red enchilada sauce divided
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese shredded
- 12-18 corn tortillas
- lettuce tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole (garnish)
- Brown ground beef w/ onions. Stir in half of enchilada sauce. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour to form a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk and use whisk to mix out lumps.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce over bottom of 9X13 baking dish.
- Layer six tortillas, ground beef, cheese sauce. Repeat layers again.
- Top with another layer of corn tortillas and pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until heated throughout.