Who doesn’t love Ranch dressing? I mean, it’s so yummy! And it has so many uses, kinda like a swiss army knife. It is quite versatile. You can use it as a dressing, a dip, a condiment, a seasoning….kinda like guacamole.
I like as a dressing on salads, veggies, sandwiches and cheese quesadillas, just to name a few. I also like to use the powdered version for seasoning meat, casseroles and soups, as well as a base for a few different sauces my family enjoys on a regular basis.
One of the only things I don’t like about Ranch dressing is the price. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, in the bottle or the packets, certainly makes you pay for “the name”. Other bottled brands that are less expensive, or that you can get cheap with coupons, just don’t taste the same.
About a year or so ago, I started making my own Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix. It tastes better (in my opinion) and costs less than the store bought versions. Plus it’s better for you. It doesn’t contain all those ingredients you can’t pronounce. Or if you can, you still don’t really know what they are. All I know is they are NOT real food.
My homemade ranch mix is simple. It contains spices and dried buttermilk. That’s it. Now, to make homemade ranch in it’s dressing or dip form, you do have to combine it with milk and mayo or sour cream, but it’s still the lesser of two evils.
So less expensive and better for you. Convinced yet?
A Few Notes on Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
- I grind all my spices together into a fine powder so they mix well into recipes. You most certainly do not have to do this if you don’t mind a rougher texture.
- The recipe below is for a small amount. You can multiply the batch as many times as you like and store in an airtight container until needed. These are my favorites for pantry storage.
- You can serve this dressing 1 hour after refrigerating, however, it will taste much better if you prepare the day before serving to allow the flavors to have a chance to fully mingle.
- I like to store my prepared ranch dressing in mason jars. They’re great for keeping fresh in the fridge and they look pretty for serving.
Save on Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix by Buying Bulk Seasonings
I like to order bulk seasonings from Amazon because they have competitive prices and it ships to my door FREE with either Prime or Subscribe & Save. I can save 15% off my entire order if I purchase 5 or more items through Subscribe & Save. Works for me!
How to Make Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
For the Mix
- 1/2 cup dried buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon minced onion or flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For dressing, dip and sauces:*depending on what you are making
- sour cream
- Mix all dry ingredients in a food processor and grind to a fine powder.
- Then add to the following:
- Dressing - Mix 2 Tbs with 3/4 cup mayo and 1/2 cup milk. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. Best if prepared the day before serving to give flavors a chance to mingle.
- Dip - Mix 2 Tbs with 16oz container of sour cream
- Big Batch - Multiply this recipe as many times as you like and store in an airtight container. When ready, use 2 Tbs to make dressing, dip, sauce or in any recipe that calls for one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mix.