I love all things blueberry. I also happen to be a big fan of lemony treats. Throw the two together and I am one happy girl. And let me tell you, this Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes recipe is the bomb.
First of all, it’s made from scratch. From. Scratch. That means you control all the ingredients. You can be as organic or processed as you like. It is totally up to you. There’s freedom in that.
Then there’s the fact that blueberries are a nutritional powerhouse containing lots of antioxidants, and 25 percent of your daily Vitamin C. They’re considered superfood. So basically you can give your children cake AND be healthy at the same time. That’s what I tell myself anyway. Don’t judge.
With the exception of buttermilk, blueberries and lemons, you probably have most of the ingredients already on hand. And if you make my Homemade Ranch Dressing and already have powdered buttermilk in stock, you might try a substitution. Note that I have not tried this…it’s just a suggestion.
On a side note: please do not purchase powdered buttermilk from the link above. As grateful as I am for you to shop through the links provided at Simple Saving Savvy, I do not want you paying double the price. You can pick up powdered buttermilk for around $4.50 at the grocery store.
Now, I’m just going to be honest and tell you ahead of time that making these Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes from scratch will be a little more labor intensive and time consuming then whipping together a batch from a box. But once you taste the super moist cake loaded with fresh blueberry flavor topped off by lemony goodness, you’ll thank me – and admit that they’re worth the effort.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- 1 Cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 Cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 T Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 T Baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1 Cup blueberries
- 1/4 Cup sugar for blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place cupcake liners into the cupcake pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter on high until creamy.Mix & Match
- Add granulated and brown sugars and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until everything is combined, about 2 full minutes.
- In a large sized bowl, add together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Then begin to slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Beat on low speed for 5 seconds, then add the milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Remove from the mixer and stir lightly until everything is just combined. Do not overmix.
- Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan. Pour in one cup of blueberries and 1/4 cup of sugar. Cook down the blueberries into a compote for 5 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes and pour into the batter.
- Using a ice cream scoop. Scoop batter into cupcake tins and place in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Cups softened unsweetened butter cream butter
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 T heavy whipping cream.
- Mix sugar and butter together on low speed until blended.
- Beat on medium speed for 3 more minutes.
- Add Lemon juice and heavy cream and continue to mix on medium speed for a few more minutes.
- Add in more powdered sugar if necessary.
- Garnish with a blueberry or lemon zest