I love making delicious home cooked dinners for my family, but I don’t like slaving away in the kitchen. That’s why my Slow Cooker Potato Bacon and Broccoli Soup fits the bill. It’s oh so yummy and “souper” easy.
The two things that make this recipe simple are the slow cooker and frozen potatoes. I love being able to throw dinner in the crockpot and go on with my day. Fix it and forget it!
Using frozen southern hashbrowns really cuts down on the prep and cooking time, however, you can opt for raw potatoes if you have them on hand. You’ll just need to cook the soup 1-2 hours longer depending on your crock pot. Be sure to chop the potatoes small so they’ll cook faster and break down into a creamy/chunky soup texture.
Another key ingredient is bacon. It gives this comfort food concoction just the right amount of savory, plus I can say to my husband, “yes honey, there’s meat in this.”
Homemade potato soup holds a certain nostalgia for me as my mom used to make it for lunch when I was a little girl. I love being able to make it for my family too, but I’m thankful I don’t have to spend time stirring over a hot stove.
This recipe serves 8 people a hearty portion and I like to make grilled cheese sandwiches to round it out. It also tastes great reheated for lunch the next day – the kids love to take it to school!
Be sure to check out my other slow cooker recipes!
How to Make Slow Cooker Potato Bacon and Broccoli Soup
- 6 slices cooked bacon cut into pieces
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 2 15 oz cans chicken broth or 3 cups
- 2 cups water
- 1 20 oz bag southern hashbrowns
- 1 16 oz bag broccoli florets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- chives optional
- cheddar cheese optional
- Place first 10 ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour, half and half and evaporated milk. Stir into the soup.
- Cover and cook another 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with cheese and chives.